During these busy holiday times, do you consider your spinal health?
When it comes to gift wrapping, many people tend to sit on their floor instead of at a table to wrap their gifts. As a result, without knowing, this creates an increased amount of pressure placed upon the low back and your SI joints. Sitting alone places more pressure, more pounds, per square inch into the lumbar spine. By sitting on the floor, it doubles with more weight applied to the sacrum, where there is a potential to alter the integrity and curvature of your spine.
In some positions while sitting on the floor, the weight of your upper body is placed on your lower limbs. This can place extra stress on your knees and ankles, as well as other joints. Existing joint problems can be exacerbated, especially with the hips and pelvis. When you go to stand up, it is straining the knees. Also, the load of your upper body decreases circulation in your lower limbs resulting in reduced blood circulation.
Here are a few recommendations while wrapping your Christmas gifts:
- Clear your dining room or kitchen table of all the junk for a clean working surface.
- If sitting, use a back support for the lower spine and avoid sitting over 30 minutes.
- If standing, place one foot on a step stool to change your center of gravity.
- Do not make a marathon of it. Frequent breaks reduce muscle fatigue.
- Remember that it is the holiday season, have some fun!
Here at Fogarty Chiropractic, we have a variety of suggestions and offer to help with your low back pain. You do not want to have low back pain to ruin your holiday fun. Schedule your appointment today at (321) 636-5200.